5 Tips to Keep Your Car Running Smoothly
If you have owned a car for any length of time you know that it is easy to get attached, in fact, some go so far as to have names for their vehicles! A car represents a huge investment to many people, second only to their home in terms of big purchases. Given that a car represents such an investment it is common sense that you should take care of it. Here’s 5 tips for keeping your car or truck running as smoothly as possible for as long as possible.
- Check the fluid levels – it is extremely important to check your fluid levels regularly. This means checking your oil in particular. Check your oil when the engine is cool, pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean and then put it back in and pull it back out to read the oil level. It is very important to keep your oil at the right level and don’t overfill it! You should do this for all fluids in your car and if your car is older it is even more important. Oil leaks can develop as seals deteriorate with age so it is critical to stay on top of it.
- Maintain a Service Schedule – your car’s service schedule will be outlined in the owner’s manual, learn it and follow it! Many owner’s will ignore or forget the regular service a car needs to operate efficiently. If you follow the schedule, your car will outlast many others on the road. It really is that simple.
- Be Aware of How Your Car Sounds – many problems can be averted if you know what your car sounds like when it is running normally. Sometimes a strange sound can be an indicator that a part is broken or about to break. You may even have to turn the stereo down or roll the windows up once in a while. If you hear a strange noise you can try to locate it yourself or take it to a mechanic to diagnose the problem.
- Warm Up Your Car – let the car or truck warm up before you head out of the driveway. An engine that is cold needs to warm up to get the oil flowing to its parts. If you let your car warm up, the oil will move where it needs to. This means all the moving parts of the engine will have the right amount of fluid to do their job!
- Take it Easy – you don’t have to drive like a maniac, going easy on your vehicle means you’ll car won’t be ran hard. Driving fast puts more force on the brakes and other essential parts. Always be sure to shift the vehicle properly too and wait for the gears to click in.
- Parts Will Break and Wear Out – don’t get too stressed if your car or truck has a part that just breaks out of the blue. Normal wear and tear is nothing to get worked up about, it happens. All you have to do is stay on top of your normal maintenance and you should be fine.
That’s it! If you keep on top of some basic maintenance, your car will outlast many others on the road. It’s easy if you know the steps to follow!
Americans are lucky we have such diverse choices when it comes to our financial services. T...
on Nov 18, 2016
What about that new single guy who has just moved to your neighborhood? He could possibly be a co...
on Oct 17, 2016
Many people are experiencing unavoidable and unwanted stress these days, and it is not only unple...
on Aug 1, 2016